Mt. Kilimanjaro,a dormant volcano is the highest mountain in africa,about 5895M AMSL and one of the mountain of seven summit.It is the easiest one and the summit,the UHURU PEAK is a trekkable peak.
Best time to climb:
It is possible to climb the mt. Kilimanjaro year round however the best time is December-February and July-October.We started our trek in the last week of February(26th,’18).The weather was pretty cold,cloud in the evening and occasional raining.We summited the peak on 2nd March,’18.
- MARANGU route:Also known as “coca-cola” route.The route is easy one but less scenic.It takes minimum five days to complete the trek.
- MACHAME route:Also known as “whisky” route.It is the most popular one and most scenic.It takes minimum six days to complete the trek.
- LEMOSHO route:This is a newer route and also the beautiful one.It takes minimum six days to complete the trek.
- SHIRA route:The route is almost same as the lemosho route,only the entry point is different and takes six days to complete the trek.
- NORTHERN CIRCUIT route:This is the newest and scenic route.Less trekers.It takes nine days to complete the trek.
- RONGAI route:Easiest route and takes six days to complete the trek.
- UMBWE route:Very short,steep and difficult one.It takes six days to complete the trek.
- WESTERN BREACH route:Closed now due to frequent rock falling.
The cost of climbing mt. Kilimanjaro varies from agency to agency.Minimum 1500$ is required for basic package.We made a preplan with unique africa tours and safari.The group was very helpful,co-operative and made our summit climb successful.