I did my first solo backpacking international trip to explore the land of Khmer and here is my one week trip itinerary.
SIEM REAP(2 DAYS):
This is the nearest city from where you can explore the Angkor archaeological site.The best way to explore is by bicycle or hiring a tuk-tuk.
- ANGKOR WAT: This is the largest temple complex in the world,a UNESCO world heritage site.It was originally constructed as a hindu temple by the Khmer empire in the early 12th century,then gradually transformed into a buddhist temple.This is truly an architectural marvel.
- ANGKOR THOM: It was the last capital city of the Khmer empire,full of ancient temples and monument.
- BAYON: This temple was built-in the late 12th century,very richly decorated with the smiling stone faces.
- BAPHUON: This is a three-tiered temple mountain,was built-in the mid 11th century,dedicated to hindu god SHIVA.In the late 15th century,it was converted to a buddhist temple.
- PHIMEANAKAS: This is a 10th century hindu temple.
- THE TERRACE OF THE LEPER KING:
- THE TERRACE OF THE ELEPHANTS:
- CITY GATE:
- TA PROHM: This temple was built-in late 12th century as a buddhist monastery and university.It is situated inside the forest and very picturesque as the big trees growing out from the temple ruins.The conservation and restoration was made by archaeological survey of india.The temple was used as a location in the famous movie ‘LARA CROFT:TOMB RAIDER’.
- PREAH KHAN: This is a 12th century temple,also left unrestored, making it a perfect picturesque ruins.
- TA SOM: This temple was built-in the late 12th century,also left unrestored and overgrown by sacred fig.
- PRE RUP: This is a 10th century temple,was dedicated to the hindu god Shiva.
- NEAK PEAN: This is a buddhist temple on an artificial island in jayatataka baray.The temple was designed for medical purpose based on the ancient hindu belief of balance.
- BANTEAY KDEI: This is a buddhist temple built-in late 12th century.
This is a coastal city on the gulf of Thailand and famous for beaches and nearby exotic islands.The best way to go from Siem Reap is by overnight sleeper bus.
- OCHHEUTEAL BEACH
- SERENDIPITY BEACH
- SOKHA BEACH
- OTRES BEACH
- INDEPENDENCE BEACH
KOH RONG ISLAND(2 DAYS)
This island is famous for its long pristine white sand beaches,crystal clear turquoise sea and dense tropical forest.Regular ferry(2 hr 30 minutes) and high-speed boat(45 minutes) are available from Sihanoukville.
The main tourist beach is kaoh touch near the ferry terminal and full of tourists.If you want to relax on a quite beach then Sok san beach(long beach/7k beach),Long set beach(4k beach),Lonely beach and Palm beach are the best.
The options to go to Sok San beach is by hiking through the dense forest(45 minutes-1 hr) or by hiring a local fishing boat.The trail is marked with red paint and signs.
I choose to go through the jungle all alone.The trek was very easy until I reached a place where the jungle burnt down and no sign of road ahead.
I thought that after crossing this part I’ll find the trail again.But more I went through,the forest became more dense,no sign of any trail and already 1 hr passed.Now i am completely lost in the jungle.
So I decided to follow the GPS on my phone and started walking through dense forest.The walk was adventurous but deep down in my heart I was little bit tensed.Another 40 minutes of walk then i found a trail and followed that one.The last part of the trail was steep down through rocky wall.Then i heard the sound of engine of a fishing boat and felt relaxed.After 15 minutes of walk i reached at the end of Sok San beach where some construction was going on.The Sok San village was on the other end of the beach which was around 3-4 km far.Likely i found a construction worker who was going to the village and gave me a ride on his bike.
Other activities you can do is snorkeling,diving,fishing,trekking and explore high point rope adventure park.
The main attraction in this island is the sparkling plankton.To see this otherworldly phenomenon,you need to go to the darkest side of the beach during night and stand into 4 feet deep water and shake it.I went on the full moon night and couldn’t see this beautiful thing but enjoyed the lonely moonlit beach.
PHNOM PENH(2 DAYS)
This is the capital of Cambodia,situated at the confluence of three river,the Mekong,the bassac and the tonle sap.Buses and shared cars are available from Sihanoukville.
- ROYAL PALACE,SILVER PAGODA AND THE TEMPLE OF THE EMERALD BUDDHA:
- ROYAL PALACE PARK:
- SISOWATH QUAY(RIVERSIDE):
- WAT OUNALOM:
- WAT PHNOM:
- NATIONAL MUSEUM:
- INDEPENDENCE MONUMENT:
- STATUE OF KING NORODOM SIHANOUK:
- CAMBODIA VIETNAM FRIENDSHIP MONUMENT:
- WAT LANGKA:
- PREAH PUTH MEAN BON:
- OLYMPIC STADIUM:
- MOHA MONTREI PAGODA:
- GENOCIDE MUSEUM
- THE KILLING FIELDS OF CHOEUNG EK